ABOUT THE CLUB
When was the club established?
- The Men’s PROBUS Club of Newmarket was established in June 1991 through the sponsorship of the Rotary Club of Newmarket.
What are the defining characteristics of the club?
- We are non-sectarian, non-political and non-fundraising.
- Our motto is “Fellowship – Friendship – Fun”.
What are the benefits of becoming a member?
- Meet people of diverse cultural and professional backgrounds.
- Monthly insightful presentations of relevant topics of interest.
- Opportunity to contribute to a collegial and non-stressful environment.
- Cultivate lifelong relationships with like minded people.
What is the composition of the Management Committee?
- The Management Committee is made up of Voting and Non-Voting positions.
- Voting positions are President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Membership Chair, Programs Chair, Newsletter Chair, Technology Chair and Webmaster
- Non-Voting positions are Immediate Past President, Assistant to Membership Chair, Assistant to Programs Chair and Assistant At-Large
- Nominations start in May with Election held at August General Meeting
- Click here for the current Management Committee
BECOMING A MEMBER
Can I attend a couple of club meetings as a guest to see if this is right for me?
Who is eligible to join?
- Retired and semi-retired men
- There are no age limitations
- Members of other PROBUS clubs are welcome
Is membership restricted to certain professionals?
- No. One of the key considerations to join our club is the opportunity to meet people of diverse cultures and careers.
Is membership geographically restricted?
- No. Our members reside in many South-Central Ontario communities including Newmarket, Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, Bradford-West Gwillimbury, New Tecumseth, King City, Whitchurch-Stouffville, Richmond Hill and Toronto.
How do I join?
Do I need a sponsor within the club to join?
What is the cost to join?
How do I pay my dues and initiation fee?
How do I refer my friends to the club?
BEING A MEMBER
How will I be contacted for club meetings and events?
- Email is the primary contact tool. Telephone will be used for those with no email.
How do I volunteer my service to the club?
Am I obligated to join the Management Committee at some point?
- No, however, we encourage all members to participate in the Management Committee in order to gather ideas from every possible perspective.
CLUB MEETINGS AND EVENTS
What is the frequency of club meetings?
- General meetings are held each month from 10:00 to noon.
- Management Committee meetings are held each month; non-MC members are welcome to attend
Where is the CLUB meeting being held?
Is there a minimum attendance requirement?
What is the format of a club meeting?
- There are 3 segments at the General Meeting:
- Management Committee report,
- Who Am I (from one of our members),
- Feature Presentation (organized by the Programs Chair).
Where are post General Meeting luncheons held?
- Pubs and restaurants in Newmarket and surrounding areas
What other events are available beside club meetings?
Are there additional costs to participate in events other than club meetings?
- Walk-and-Lunch is free except for the lunch part. Cost for other activities is dependent on venue, transportation, entertainment, etc.